Can i use toric lenses
What is astigmatism, what are toric contact lenses?
Medically checked by Jakub Odcházel, chief optician at IhrLinsen, on April 2nd, 2020
Written by Leonie Bauer
Definition of astigmatism
Astigmatism is an ametropia in which the cornea is irregularly curved and the shape resembles a rugby ball. The normal corneal shape, on the other hand, looks like a normal sphere. Astigmatism is a type of ametropia in which the eye does not focus light evenly on the retina. The elongated cornea lets the light-reflected objects focus on two points on the eye pupil instead of just one, which is why vision is blurred. This refractive error requires other correction, special contact lenses with cylinder and axis values.
You can read more about the different types of parameters, especially for toric contact lenses, in this blog article.
Astigmatism works on a different principle, but is often accompanied by nearsightedness or farsightedness. For this reason, it is not possible to correct astigmatism with normal lenses or glasses that only have the plus or minus power. For this purpose, toric contact lenses are usually prescribed for eye patients with astigmatism. These astigmatism contact lenses have a thicker zone on the bottom to keep them from rotating in the eye. This helps align the lenses consistently and predictably for better visual acuity.
Appropriate contact lenses for astigmatism
Here is an overview of contact lenses for astigmatism.
Three main types of astigmatism (astigmatism):
- Myopia Astigmatism: One or both of the main meridians of the eye is nearsighted. (If both meridians are nearsighted, they are myopic to different degrees.)
- Hydropic Astigmatism: One or both of the main meridians is farsighted. (If both meridians are farsighted, they are hydropic differently.)
- Mixed astigmatism: one major meridian is nearsighted and the other is farsighted.
Astigmatism is detected during a routine eye exam using the same instruments and techniques used to detect nearsightedness and farsightedness! be used.
Your ophthalmologist can measure the strength of the astigmatism by determining the refraction of the eye. The directions of movement of light phenomena (secondary light source) on the retina of the test subject's eye are observed. This procedure is known as retinoscopy (shadow sample) or retinoscopy.
Symptoms of astigmatism
Symptoms can vary from person to person, and it is also possible that they may not experience any symptoms at all. Some of the most common symptoms are the unclear picture and blurred vision. They can vary along with the degree of astigmatism. If the astigmatism is too small, no vision problems will be noticed. If the degree of astigmatism is higher, it mainly causes fatigue in the eyes when doing a lot of computer work because the eye has to keep adjusting.
In fact, most people are likely born with some degree of astigmatism, or very often it is inherited. If you're noticing symptoms of astigmatism, take a look at your family tree. There is a good chance that someone in your family had astigmatism as well. If astigmatism is detected in early childhood, there is a chance that it will increase or decrease as you age. Astigmatism can also result from an injury or eye surgery.
Treatment of astigmatism
There are several ways to correct astigmatism:
• Toric contact lenses (or corrective glasses) Typically, patients with astigmatism are prescribed toric lenses to correct their vision. Toric lenses have a larger angle of reflection in a certain direction.
After your doctor performs the eye test on you, they will determine which lenses are best for the shape of your eyeball and your astigmatism.
• Operative astigmatism correction This is another method of correcting astigmatism. It consists of a change in the shape of the eye's cornea, which is done through refractive or laser eye surgery. To be able to perform this type of procedure, you must not have problems with the retina, wounds and scars on the cornea, and other eye diseases.
Do you like this article? Share with friends.
Don't miss any news.
Register for the newsletter!
best selling products
- Smoking marijuana reduces testosterone levels
- What is Leadville Colorado known for
- How are user acceptance tests carried out
- What shouts Im friend material
- Which organ stores glucose in the body
- Why are they the incredible edible eggs
- What are some examples of first observations
- How do overtones work when singing
- Why do some programmers hate pointers
- What did you read in 2nd grade?
- How should Palestinian terrorism work
- What are remedies for Ketu Dasha
- Brown sugar gives you diabetes
- How can I update old thesis references
- What is synoptic meteorology
- How do you guard cats?
- What is the movie Oldboy about
- Which state has funded ISIS?
- Which advertisers used Twitter promoted trends
- We are all naturally broken people
- Can I see a picture of your girlfriend
- What are the main industries in Kenya
- Can women join the KKK
- Can bobcats meow