Veterinary jobs will be available in 2023
Zoo keeper jobs and vacancies
What professional challenges do zookeepers have to face?
A heart for animals is a prerequisite for the profession of animal keeper. Every living being, no matter what size, species and species, has its justification and deserves your undivided attention - at least during working hours. But be careful: if you think this job is too romantic, you can quickly take the wind out of your sails with a few stories from everyday working life. Because, on the other hand, your job also means heavy physical work that is sometimes associated with unpleasant activities. In addition to feeding the animals and making animal toys, zookeepers also take care of cleaning work in the animal enclosures. Anyone who has ever visited a zoo can imagine that it doesn't always smell good.
If you take a sober look at your job, you will probably be able to confirm that a zoo keeper takes care of all kinds of animals. There are no restrictions in this regard. From grasshopper to rare fish species to gorillas, leopards and birds of prey, everything is included.
This diversity makes your job as a zoo keeper extremely exciting. In addition, most of the work takes place in the fresh air and requires movement - the best prerequisite for a healthy everyday working life.
What qualities does the zookeeper need to have?
Zoo keepers have to combine many qualities. If you have been working as such for a long time, you probably know that the following qualities are essential in your profession:
- good observation
- a solid memory ability
- Sure instinct
- excellent body control
- skilled craftsmanship
- good mathematical knowledge
- good expressiveness
Anyone looking for a new employer should take another look at this list. The aspects mentioned are precisely those that are asked for in the application letter. If you can substantiate each of these with an example from your professional or private everyday life, nothing should stand in the way of the invitation to an interview.
How is the apprenticeship as a zoo keeper (m / f) designed?
The zoo keeper also goes through a classic dual training course. Once you have completed this, you have spent many days at the vocational school. Here you primarily acquire theoretical specialist knowledge. The phases in the training company, on the other hand, are more aimed at teaching the trainees the practical steps of a zoo keeper. Regardless of whether it is theory or practice: Your training will focus on the following areas:
- Animal and species protection regulations
- Care, keeping and care of feed animals
- Care for newborn animals
- Detecting signs of illness
- species-appropriate design of enclosures, aviaries, aquariums and terrariums
- Informing visitors
- Methods of killing
The end of the apprenticeship is the final examination. Since you work as a trained animal keeper today, you have mastered this last hurdle with flying colors.
What about the finances of a zookeeper (male / female)?
If you have just completed your training, your gross income should settle at around 2,200 euros per month. However, you should only understand this amount as a guide, as factors such as the size of the company, the location of the company and your own level of experience are strong influencing factors.
Over the years, the income check increases in line with your professional experience. If you have been working in the profession of animal keeper for a few years, you should have reached a gross monthly income of just under 2,800 euros. If you want to go even higher, you should take a look at the training options below. These enable you to move up to higher positions and of course also have a positive effect on your salary.
What further training opportunities does a trained zoo keeper have?
As a zookeeper, your career prospects are rather meager. This is because the zoo vacancies are very popular, but the availability is limited. Even in animal boarding houses and in animal shelters it doesn't look any better. That is why it is important for you as a zookeeper to make yourself attractive on the job market. With additional knowledge, you improve your chances. It also shows ambition and professional commitment. Employers like to see that. This brings you one step closer to being invited to an interview.
So feel free to improve your professional chances and take the reins into your own hands. You can acquire interesting additional qualifications, for example, through:
- further training to become a master animal carer
- a degree: veterinary medicine or biology
Duties of the zookeeper
Animal shelter managers take on administrative as well as commercial and animal care tasks. They work in different places of work: In the office they make up, for example, Costs and feed requirements or take care of payment transactions, in the enclosures they look after animals. There they come into contact with dirt and smells. In outdoor enclosures they are also exposed to wind and weather. Since they come into direct contact with the animals, they must not be allergic to animal hair. In their work, they always make sure that the legal guidelines for the protection of animals are observed.
Caring for the often traumatized animals requires a lot of patience and empathy. In addition to love of animals, a good understanding of human nature is important in order to only pass animals on to suitable new owners. Since they work in a managerial position, they need knowledge of leadership.
- Most of your work takes place in offices, for example calculating the cost of food or medication, planning the work of your employees.
- They mostly work in the open air, for example in an outdoor enclosure for the animals.
- The place of work are animal stalls.
- Some of the work takes place under the influence of a strong odor.
- In your work, you have customer contact, for example when advising interested parties who want to take in an animal.
- Your activities include caring for animals, for example participating in the care and care of the animals.
- A great deal of responsibility is required in this work. If you fill this position, you should not only show yourself responsible for your own actions, but you should also be able to instruct and lead employees.
- Are all organic materials flammable
- Vimy Ridge is a Canadian overseas territory
- Are courses on Internshala good
- How do we say difficult in Spanish
- Why is Librax not a controlled substance
- What are some pictures of homeless shelters
- Why are depression and anxiety closely related
- How much is A5 Wagyu Beef
- What does Aiwa mean in Japanese
- The mobile app world of the restaurant is saturated
- Animals inherit their knowledge
- Does syphilis originate in the New World?
- Kakashi against 5 Kage who would win
- Who is PM Lotay Tshering
- What happened to National Semiconductor
- How many mistranslations are there in the Bible?
- Does Russia have potential for rural tourism
- Liquid CPU coolers can leak
- Why did you move to Iceland
- What recently happened to the Chinese currency?
- Did the early hominids go to heaven?
- How competitive is the programming
- How Quarterbacks Communicate Lightning Pickup
- Akbar was really great