How does photosynthesis help a plant to grow
Plants breathe too - but with what?
No being can live without air, humans, animals and plants. But plants don't have a nose or a mouth - how are they supposed to breathe?
Plants that grow on land have tiny stomata called stomata on the underside of their leaves. Stomata comes from the Greek word "stoma" which means mouth. They breathe with these little mouths.
The great thing about plants is that they breathe in carbon dioxide, which in excessive amounts is harmful to us and our environment. And what's even better is that they also produce oxygen in the process.
It's a rather complicated process called photosynthesis.
No photosynthesis without light
Plants have a unique substance - chlorophyll. And that not only makes the leaves green, but also turns water and carbon dioxide into sugar and oxygen with the help of light. The plant stores the sugar, but releases the oxygen again.
Plants do that quite effectively. A hundred-year-old beech releases about as much oxygen into its surroundings via its leaves in one hour as 50 people need to breathe!
Rainforest supplies the world with air
The rainforest supplies the most oxygen. Tropical rainforests are mainly found in South America and Asia. So many trees and plants grow here that they can supply the whole world with oxygen - even if all trees in Europe had no leaves in winter.
Do plants also need oxygen?
Yes, in cellular respiration. The plant needs this process in order to obtain energy from the stored sugar.
For this, the sugar has to be crushed and the plant does this with the help of oxygen. With the energy released in this way, the plant allows its shoots to grow or to drive out its roots.
Overall, however, plants produce significantly more oxygen than they consume. It is actually thanks to them that people have enough oxygen to breathe - and should therefore be particularly careful with the plants.
- Fun to write Python code
- Why is egg liqueur called egg liqueur
- Is math a universal language
- What can a physics major do
- Can a DDS make a root canal
- Economics is both positive and normative science
- Are the Broadway theaters cold
- What a worm is a decomposer
- Who is Harsh Patil
- You can call the Korg Gadget a DAW
- Why is the earth still unexplored?
- Amputees have less blood
- Donald Trump will change America's inner cities
- The 2nd additional PUC exam is easier
- How does cold air affect pressure?
- How do I sue Wikipedia
- BranchOut is a LinkedIn killer
- Elephants are 10 years from extinction
- What is a charismatic puzzle
- What are some interesting acronyms
- What are some WWI weapons
- What is a radiation oncologist
- Should I kick soccer in high school?
- How are the internships at NIT Surats this year