Cross-validation improves accuracy
Improve ML.NET model accuracy
- 2 minutes to read
Learn how to improve the accuracy of your model.
Define the problem
Sometimes improving a model has nothing to do with the data or techniques used to train the model. Instead, they may just be asking the wrong question. Look at the problem from different angles and use the data to extract latent indicators and hidden relationships to refine the question.
Provision of further data examples
As with humans, the more algorithms are trained, the more likely they will perform better. One way to improve model performance is to make more training data samples available to the algorithms. The larger the amount of data that an algorithm learns from, the more cases it can correctly identify.
Add context to the data
A single data point can be difficult to interpret. Building context around the data points helps algorithms and experts make better decisions. For example, the fact that a home has three bedrooms is not alone a good indicator of price. However, if you add context and now you know that it is in the suburbs outside of a major metropolitan area, where the median age is 38, the median household income is $ 80,000, and the schools are in the upper 20th percentile, then the algorithm has more Information on which to base his decisions. These contexts can be added as features as input to the machine learning model.
Use meaningful data and features
While more data samples and features can help improve the accuracy of the model, they can also introduce noise because not all data and features make sense. It is therefore important to understand which features have the greatest influence on the decisions of the algorithm. Using techniques like Permutation Feature Importance (PFI) can help identify these important features. And with it, not only can you explain the model, but you can also use the output as a method for selecting features to reduce the number of noisy features that go into the training process.
For more information about using PFI, see Explain Model Prediction Using Permutation Feature Importance (PFI).
Cross-validation is a training and model evaluation technique that divides the data into multiple partitions and trains multiple algorithms on those partitions. This method improves the stability of the model by keeping data from the training process available. Aside from improving performance on undisplayed observations, it can be an effective tool in data-constrained environments to train models on a smaller dataset.
Visit the link below to learn how to use cross-validation in ML.NET.
Training machine learning models is an iterative exploration process. For example, what is the optimal number of clusters when training a model with the K-Means algorithm? The answer depends on many factors, such as the structure of the data. To determine this number, you would have to experiment with different values for k and then evaluate performance to see which value is best. The process of optimizing these parameters in order to find an optimal model is called hyperparameter optimization.
Choosing a different algorithm
Machine learning tasks such as regression and classification models contain different algorithm implementations. The problem you are trying to solve and the structure of your data may not be a good fit with the current algorithm. In this case, consider using a different algorithm for your task to see if it learns better with your data.
The following link provides further instructions on how to choose the algorithm.
- What is something that is unnecessarily complicated
- Do cats or dogs get dementia?
- Why are glasses so expensive in Canada
- Who will benefit from PMAY
- What are the new rules regarding DTH
- How to prove Taylor's formula
- How should I pass the SSB exam
- Who is your favorite character and why
- Why can't I sleep when it's quiet
- A temporomandibular joint disease is considered a disability
- How do you filter questions about Quora
- How do people in Russia survive the winter?
- Are moose herbivores
- Are Americans aware of their global unpopularity?
- How is the provisioning automated
- What is a Living Wage in California
- Buddy Holly was ashed
- Can you explain the fallacy of the argumentum novitatis?
- Is R CNN suitable for text recognition
- What's the craziest challenge you know
- What causes moles on your skin
- Can you take meloxicam with Tylenol
- What is the Zoya Factor Movie Review
- What is the Telugu movie
- What does absence mean in this paragraph
- What facts are wrong in psychology
- How poison dart frogs breathe
- Why are there bombings in Syria
- Is it useful to learn apple quickly?
- How do I say daughter in Korean
- Have folk characters
- What is your country about
- Uses Netflix DRM
- What are AWS web services and developers