Will cheese kill my sourdough starter
How often should i feed my sourdough starter?
My first impression is that the towel may not be porous enough to let in the main yeast and bacteria. Try a cheesecloth.
If that doesn't work, here is the long version:
First and foremost, a week isn't necessarily enough time to get a starter up to speed. It might just be a few days or a month. They rely on ambient yeasts and bacteria floating in the air, and the amount of yeast and bacteria available will vary based on location, climatic conditions, and all sorts of other environmental factors. The specific types and strains of yeast and bacteria also vary from place to place, which is why San Francisco is known for its sourdough - they have the best strains of yeast and bacteria around. Give it time.
Basically, as soon as your starter is healthy and active, bubbles, rises vigorously and smells sour, you have two options:
If you store the starter at room temperature, you will need to feed it twice a day. Don't wait for the ascended starter to collapse before your next feeding, as this will affect the pH and make the yeast and bacteria less active. Feed it every 12 hours.
If you keep the starter in the refrigerator, you can wait up to a week between feedings. The cold doesn't kill the yeast and bacteria, it just slows them down. Just make sure the starter isn't pushed into a super cold place and freezes.
The feeding process:
Stir the starter, removing all but 4 ounces (you can either throw away the rest or bake with it). To the remaining 4 ounces, add 4 ounces of flour and 4 ounces of purified or bottled water (chlorine in tap water is bad for yeast and bacteria, and most filters remove the taste of chlorine, but not all of the chlorine). Room temperature starter receives water at room temperature; chilled starter gets lukewarm water. Stir until there is no more dry flour. Cover with a non-airtight lid. Chilled appetizers need to stay at room temperature for a few hours after feeding to allow yeast and bacteria to wake up and eat.
- Why time is irreversible
- Is skateboarding fun? Why or why not?
- 16 is a prime age
- Why am I not getting organic traffic
- What are the most popular US stocks
- Which Google DNS is faster
- Acting people on cruise ships are entitled
- Will Todoroki turn into a villain?
- Can women join the KKK
- What does amitriptyline do to the brain
- Who is behind Donald Trump
- What use is learning C.
- What defines identity over time
- Are you fighting for survival in Egypt?
- Why are my hand chakras burning
- Can I hack Google with no consequence
- What is QIAzol
- What are some mysterious facts
- How do you use capitalization correctly
- Why doesn't yeast always rise
- Why are many talented people poor
- Is a barbecue carcinogenic?
- What characters speak in Dragon Age
- Earthly things in heaven