Is captivity harmful to whales
Orcas in captivity
Hunting orcas in Penn Cove
In August 1970, more than 80 orcas were rounded up in Penn Cove (near Puget Sound in Washington State, USA). Seven of them were captured and sold to dolphinariums. At least five orcas suffocated in the nets, the others were released or escaped. The population of the Southern Resident Orcas is now acutely threatened with extinction due to these fishing activities.
Only one of the killer whales caught at the time is still alive: Lolita (Tokitae). She has been held in captivity at the Miami Seaquarium in Florida since 1970. Long legal proceedings demanding the release of Lolita have so far been unsuccessful. Her family is one of the Southern Resident Orcas. Presumably her mother is Oceano Sun (L-25), who was born around 1930. She and the rest of the family are still swimming in the waters from which Tokitae was snatched.
Despite the long time in captivity, she still uses the distinctive calls of her family group. In 2005, the Southern Residents were recognized as an endangered species and have been protected by the US Endangered Species Act since then. Tokitae was only officially granted this status in 2015.
Between 1965 and 1973, a total of 45 members of the Southern Residents were captured and taken to dolphinariums. Only Tokitae of them lives today. At least 13 other family members died during the fishing campaign. Only Corky, a member of the Northern Resident Orca population, has been in captivity for a long time. It was wrested from its natural habitat in 1969 and is kept at SeaWorld park in San Diego.
The following video shows terrifying footage of the brutal trapping operations. It also includes the first interview with the diver John Crowe, who was responsible for the disappearance of the bodies of the dead orcas that did not survive the stressful and brutal capture operation during the action in Penn Cove. In this way the deceased individuals were not counted towards the catch quota.
Thank you to Baby Wild Films for allowing us to show this video.
- What are the target markets for Zomato
- Which factors lead to the denaturation of proteins
- How do I control my short temper
- Why is the mass constant and not varied
- Why was this universe created
- Suggest a few books for me. See description
- Why is strategy implementation difficult 1
- What exactly is cauliflower ear
- Is nanotechnology harmful?
- David Bowie had a funeral
- What is a regular number in math
- Is Picasso the Simpletons artist
- Should I join XIMB?
- Is the remote display dangerous
- Why are there bombings in Syria
- Have you ever flown a plane while drunk
- Education is always a good investment
- Are you confident or shy?
- Can the best Jeanist defeat Shoto Todoroki
- What happened to Popular Electronics magazine
- What are drugs for asthma
- Are German cars cheaper in Germany 1
- What are the fastest growing research companies
- How can I remix songs