How is the website structure
Content and structure of the website
Now that you have a website builder or a hosting provider and a program with which you can create your website, the next step is the content and structure of the website.
A well thought-out structure, i.e. a meaningful one Header area with menu as well as an appealing Home page with good content your visitors will appreciate it.
At the end there is the one Footer, the footer. Now let's take a closer look at the individual areas:
Most websites contain the navigation in the header (not with us, but there can be exceptions).
Let's take a look at WebsiteToolTester.com as an example:
We find the following elements there:
- The logo
- Navigation with drop-down menus (which expand when you move over them)
- Language selection
- Search function
Other elements that could also find space there:
- Newsletter Sign up
- Shopping cart symbol for online shops
- Login function
It should be noted that this header appears exactly on every single page, because these are important functions that are always useful.
The home page
Most of the visitors often end up on the first Home page.
As a visitor, you want to get an impression of what you can generally find on the website and how you can quickly get to the desired area. The bigger the website is, the more important it is.
Many websites work with a banner image, which is usually intended to communicate a certain image and loosens up the text.
Unfortunately, you often see these typical errors:
- The home page does not help the visitor to navigate. You should therefore use clear calls for action, so-called Call to Actions. This can be an orange button, for example.
- There are as good as no content: the phrase “Welcome to the home page” hardly helps. In addition, search engines like Google despair (keyword: SEO) because they don't know what exactly the page is about.
- The Page is overloaded and want to show too many things. You should therefore concentrate on the essential content that is most popular with your visitors. In this case, less is actually more.
- The Colors are not coordinated and create a chaotic picture. You should therefore use professional templates for which a designer has set up a color palette that is consistent. You can find what you are looking for in website builders, for example, as there are a large number of ready-made designs.
Tips for a tidy website structure
Take a look around our site, for example: we have tried to clearly separate the navigation from the rest of the content. One look at the navigation is enough to find out which page you are currently on.
We chose 18px as the font size, a relatively large font size that is pleasant to read on the screen. Of course, our website is not perfect - pictures are missing, for example, to loosen up. But we are working on it!
If you want to smile a bit, take a look at the bad example 1 or bad example 2 website.
These are confusing and do not invite the visitor to find out more or to buy products. Therefore you should definitely think about the web design.
So make your menu items clear and interesting. The reader should be able to recognize immediately what to expect - therefore do not use abstract terminology.
There are really very different versions of the footer. Some are simple and contain little content. Others are crammed with links. If your website is on the smaller side (less than 30 pages) then there is really no point in having a huge footer.
You should place that there:
- Copyright information
- The company name
- Further page links that no longer have space at the top in the main navigation
- Links to social media profiles
- The imprint
- Data protection notices
- General terms and conditions (e.g. for online shops)
A URL that looks like this: www.ihrewebseite.de/der-rest-und-sonst-noch-ein paar-sachen That doesn't exactly invite you to look at this menu item.
The same applies to a URL that has a cryptic structure - e.g. www.ihrewebseite.de/090782340asdlfo72
Instead, it is advisable to use an appealing name such as:
www.ihrewebseite.de/ Events or www.ihrewebseite.de/opening hours
Incidentally, search engines rate these names in the URL positively, which contributes to improved search engine optimization.
- Tip: Check out other websites and make a note of what you like about them and what you don't. Let this inspire you. Take a look at the pages of your competition - but not only! Other industries may even be more innovative.
- Tip 2: You can download a free e-book with lots of ideas for the content of a website here (registration with email address required)
- Cats and raccoons can mate
- What exercises do people usually do wrong?
- Can CO2 be converted into methane
- How do I install an LED strip
- How many cups are in 3 liters
- How were Unix and Linux created
- What is GST Certification Course 1
- What does the term bone pathology mean
- How did prokaryotes evolve into eukaryotes
- What is an authentic NFL jersey size
- An arm push-up will build endurance
- How long is the flight to Paris
- How are CG textures created
- How unscientific is Bayes' law
- Shiva and Rudra are two people
- What are the latest trends in hardware
- Should I do this job please advise
- What are fantasy games
- What motivated you to start reading
- What are the dangers of ingesting methanol
- What is a Jeep Rubicon
- What should a 1099 MISC look like
- Why does entropy depend on temperature
- How do I learn Android programming
- One H2O molecule is water
- What is atomic swaps about
- Is it worth buying i20
- How often do juries get it right
- Google starts sucking
- What exactly is Hellenistic philosophy
- Which country is safer Austria or Switzerland?
- What is the world market about
- Is mountain the opposite of ocean?
- Do Americans need a reality test