In chloroplast, where does the process take place
Like mitochondria, chloroplasts, which occur exclusively in plants, have a basic structure that consists of two biomembranes. The outer membrane is very permeable, the inner one is not.
The grana, which are already noticeable in the light microscope, are characteristic. Grana are dictyosome-like, interconnected stacks of cisterns made of so-called Thylakoids (gr. = baggy). If the grana are very long, one also speaks of Slats.
Cross section through a chloroplast
Thylokoid stacks in a chloroplast
One can distinguish three reaction spaces of the chloroplast (mitochondria only two!):
- the space between the two membranes (yellow)
- the stroma (gray)
- the thylakoids (green)
Spatial scheme of a chloroplast
This old drawing from my study days (1978) shows a spatial scheme of a chloroplast. The chloroplast DNA is shown in red.
Chloroplasts are derived from blue-green algae (endosymbiont theory) and can divide in a similar way to prokaryotes. In the English Wikipedia article there is a detailed section on the division of chloroplasts: "Chloroplast division".
The important process of photosynthesis takes place in the chloroplasts, both the light reaction and the dark reaction. The light reaction takes place in the thylakoids, the dark reaction in the stroma.
- Why are most liquids flammable
- What is the father of biology 5
- How to cite a github repository
- Why is pop music declining
- What is the best offensive hacking tool
- The difference between knowledge and wisdom 2
- What is your rating of Royal Sundaram
- Accepts Google Bitcoin
- What is the simplest patent pending
- What are some dignity issues
- How do I write a pop song
- Which companies are good for engineers
- Good printer for office use under 5000
- Which drinks help with mental health
- A dentist can create a cavity
- Can pressure influence the formation of fog
- What are the sales fees for Cdiscount
- How did Korea easily fall to Japan
- How do I download albums
- What does DDoS stand for
- QNET is divine
- When did the space race officially end?
- What are some characteristics of famous people
- Who were some of the greatest listeners in history