Why is antifreeze poisonous to cats

Frost protection - deadly for cats



If you suspect that your cat has licked the antifreeze - contact the vet immediately!

The older of us still know that in the eighties, wine was trimmed to 'lovely' en masse with diethylene glycol. The scandal ruled the press for weeks and damaged the Austrian wine image for a long time.

As a lesson, we can remember that this antifreeze must taste sweet.

If the spray water is refilled in the cold and dark in winter, it can lead to a spillage. Danger ! Wipe up spills immediately before a free-roaming cat can take pleasure in them. When storing or handling indoors, make sure nothing goes wrong.

What went off lightly in the wine scandal can cost a cat its life. The magazine VETimpulse reports in its current issue: '... Even 1.4 ml / kg are sufficient for life-threatening poisoning. The first signs are vomitus, ataxia, apathy and the impression of having a 'drunk' animal in front of you ... '

After about 24 hours at the latest - and depending on the amount absorbed - the patient experiences acute kidney failure. Therapy then becomes very complex and the prognosis for the animal increasingly poor.

Pet owners who have been able to observe their cat taking in frost protection should have the veterinarian induce vomiting using medication. This is the most effective within the first hour.

Within the first twelve hours, the toxic effects of the antifreeze can be treated by a rather unorthodox treatment with intravenous alcohol. In a recommendation from British veterinarians, they even go as far as to be purer in an emergency vodka Can be used. What is important, however, is the correct dosage, which the vet should know urgently. The website www.fabcats.org provides information on poisoning therapy for both pet owners and veterinarians.

Overall, the treatment of an animal poisoned in this way is very complex and after the current banishment of the poisoning, many measures are still required to rebuild the animal in the best possible way. The earlier you notice abnormalities, the better the chances of treatment. Quite a reason to deal a little more and more often with your house tiger in these cold days.

 

Further links on the subject of poisoning

Hanau, February 2010
Note / Disclaimer | Next << News overview >> Previous