Why can't I drink sea water
It is known only too well from films - castaways die of thirst in the open sea, even though they are surrounded by water. How is that possible? Why does salt water have a different effect on the body than drinking water? We have the answer!
Humans have to drink to survive. Within a few days without water we die of thirst. A certain amount of salt is also important for our body. Our organism is designed to keep the salt content in the blood at 0.9 percent. In order for our organs to function properly, the balance of our water-electrolyte balance must be maintained. Sea water, on the other hand, has a salinity of 3.5 percent. So if we drink too much sea water, the balance is seriously upset and in the worst case scenario it can even lead to death.
A special process determines why our body cannot live on salt water in the long term: osmosis. It ensures that the salt is evenly distributed in our body. However, the salinity of sea water is far higher than the salinity of our blood. When we now drink salt water, the body tries to compensate for and excrete the considerable excess of salt. However, the kidneys can only cope with this if they are given enough fresh drinking water without salt.
In various magazines or online portals you read again and again about weight loss and purification methods that advise you to consume salt dissolved in water regularly. With such methods, however, extreme caution is required or not advisable at all, as dehydration can quickly lead to further complications.
- The police are still making confessions
- What is Kitty Hawk
- What does 124875 mean for you
- How do you use your company network
- Make 24-hour fitness center always close by
- How can Google contacts be improved?
- Why does wife like micromanaging husband
- What is the curriculum of VMC
- Are we biologically perfect people
- Why is China building Africa
- Liquid CPU coolers can leak
- It is worth buying the new OnePlus smartphone
- How could anyone mutate other animals?
- What is a Genesis automobile
- Why do we read social studies
- How do shootings work in football
- Does willpower exist in the human brain
- What are the uses of carbonated beverages
- What's wrong with eating fried shrimp
- After the 12th I can join photography
- Smart collars for dogs are worth it
- Why does everything deteriorate over time
- What are non-touristic places in Berlin
- You can change classes before school starts