Can I make an Android game with Java?
Create your own Android app - that's how it works
For most of us, the smartphone is a constant companion - why not create your own Android app? We will show you various ways in which you can program your own application and use it to present your company, for example.
The project of your own Android app
Creating even a less complex app is still a fair amount of programming work. But thanks to the general prevalence and importance of apps and smartphones, a few ways have developed to get results quickly - even without having to learn to program yourself.
Online construction kits - the quick way to make an app yourself
Writing a code yourself without prior knowledge is difficult - the only way left is a graphical user interface that independently writes the code behind it. You will find a few modular systems on the Internet in which you can easily put together graphic elements to create your own personal app.
- The best providers include GoodBarber, Swiftic, AppYourself and Shoutem. The prices start at € 20 per month.
- Once you have registered, you can start putting together your app straight away. This works quickly and easily with simple content such as representative offices for a company.
- Take a close look at what is on offer: Often suggested web apps are little more than a mobile website. Only native apps are real applications that can be downloaded from the Google Play Store, for example. These have more functions, can be accessed offline and, if implemented well, have a higher quality effect.
- Pay attention to the costs and disadvantages: The construction kit providers may charge up to 500 euros for an app that you have put together yourself. In addition, there may be monthly costs for hosting. However, you usually do not have your app completely: Since the source code is often not visible, you cannot hand the app over to other experts.
- In addition, the functionality of building block apps is reduced, which means that you would have to hire a team of developers to customize the app to your needs. Or you can program the app from scratch as soon as you want to add special features to the app.
App Inventor - Lego bricks for Android programming
If you want to get a taste of Android development out of private interest, the former Google project is more interesting and also free of charge. The "App Inventor" is similar to the online construction kits, a so-called "WYSIWYG editor" ("What you see is what you get"), which lets you put together an Android app with graphic modules.
- The use of the software requires the installation of Java, which you can also download here. You can install App Inventor on Windows, Mac, or Linux. Then you still need an up-to-date browser and an Android phone or tablet, whereby an emulator is also suitable for testing the apps afterwards.
- According to the Lego Mindstorms principle, you can playfully design simple applications and dare to work on increasingly complex apps. You can also find plenty of tutorials on the "App Inventor" homepage.
Develop Android apps using the languages of the web
If you have already gained experience in web design, Apache Cordova could be something for you.
- Cordova runs on Windows, Mac and Linux and requires Node.js, Gradle and Java SDK 8 as well as Android Studio.
- If you got Node.js up and running, you can use the tool npm Install Cordova on the command line. To install the other programs, proceed as described in the documentation.
- Once the app has been compiled, it loads npm a local web server so that you can view the app in the browser.
Programming yourself - the long way to your own Android app
If you have previous knowledge, you can also dare to completely set up an app yourself. This is how you really get into the matter. Here, however, patience is required: Before you achieve satisfactory results, it will take many hours to read in, watch tutorials and try them out.
- Android apps are based in principle on Java: So you have to first become familiar with this programming language. "Java is also an island" is recommended as a standard work for introduction and accompaniment. Of course, this also requires the download of the "Java development environment".
- With this basic knowledge you can start the actual Android programming in "Android Studio". There are also numerous videos and texts on this.
CHIP job market
In our CHIP job market you will find thousands of current jobs in the digital world. Whether as a software developer or marketing expert, at Microsoft or Amazon - we cover the entire breadth of the German tech world. And if you want to start one of these jobs as a career changer, distance learning is worthwhile. Request an information brochure here about the current distance learning courses from ILS, Germany's largest distance learning school.
In the CHIP forum you can exchange ideas with experienced programmers and receive tips. Experts will also answer other questions about Android apps there.
- What are the best themed restaurants
- How will the environments change in 2019
- How do software developers deal with pointless work
- How beneficial are ERP mailing lists
- What is 8x8 8 8
- What is the best running message board in Europe
- Uses R Python
- What study can touch your heart
- What does neither this nor that mean
- What is spectrum chemistry
- Basic training showers are awkward
- What is a 31 year old girl
- Mold inspections are free
- Why does a heart attack occur during sleep
- Do televisions have a loud sound
- How effective is multiphase sleep
- How do I get into NASA research
- How does TCP provide reliability
- How has technology influenced love
- What happened to the girl you married
- Can I do a private MBA?
- What did Freud think of Karl Marx?
- What is the movie Oldboy about
- What if you have your passport filled out