Who made the song My Way famous
The story of the song begins in France in the mid-1960s: the composer Claude François has just been dumped by his girlfriend, the singer France Gall. Out of sheer grief, he writes a song called "For You", but nobody wants to sing it. It only becomes a hit when he and a few friends make a chanson out of it and call it "Comme d’habitude". The Canadian singer Paul Anka happens to be in France and hears this chanson on the radio. He immediately buys the rights to the song, although he doesn't really know what to do with it.
Paul Anka writes the text for François' melody
But then there is a fateful encounter: Paul Anka meets Frank Sinatra in a hotel in Beverly Hills. He invites him to dinner. And while the 27-year-old Paul is frozen in awe, the old master pours out his heart to him. Sinatra explains that he is tired of show business and that he is tired: "I'll make one last album, then it's over." He asks Anka if he doesn't want to contribute a song to it. Of course Paul wants Anka. And at home in his apartment in New York, in the middle of the night, he had the idea for "My Way". He takes the tune from "Comme d’habitude" and writes a text about a man who looks back on his life. He's ready at five in the morning and he knows: This is a song that does justice to the great Frank Sinatra.
Sinatra herself thinks Song is terrible
A few weeks later, Paul Anka's phone rings. At the other end of the line is Frank Sinatra: "Hey boy, listen to what I just recorded in the recording studio!" It took Frank Sinatra just 30 minutes to put the song on record. Paul Anka can hardly believe it. He has tears in his eyes - not knowing that "My Way" will be one of the greatest evergreens of all time. And Frank Sinatra? Of course, he doesn't withdraw, but continues to give concerts and has to sing "My Way" from now on - although he actually thinks the song is terrible.
The story was a hit
The most famous songs of the last 50 years have become an indispensable part of music history. At NDR 1 Niedersachsen you can hear the story behind the songs. more
This topic in the program:
NDR 1 Lower Saxony | December 26, 2018 | 3:50 pm
- What were the worst performances at Woodstock
- How the signals are generated
- How is alcoholic beverage monetized
- How long does your machine last
- Can a computer work without software
- Why is muscle building important for everyone
- What's a good book on cryptography
- Do you like insects
- How will nanotechnology change the automotive industry
- How do you get fat
- Smell salts a drug
- How did dogs shape the human brain
- What is the purpose of ACNT Walmart
- What skills do Indian mechanical engineers lack
- What PUBG card has a helicopter
- Did Queen Esther really exist?
- What can Iraqis be proud of?
- Can Indians join the Theresian Military Academy?
- What is an IDA exchange
- What is the purpose of GEICO
- What can a teenager do exceptionally well?
- What are some ways to study 1
- How did you discover your favorite podcast
- Should I visit Montana
- What is the British squire
- Can a culture exist without symbols
- Why is Apple so famous 2
- Why don't iPhones have metallic screens
- Agree to imperialism
- What is DOS AIOS
- Are surgeons qualified to perform autopsies
- How do I solve McQ quickly
- Can grief turn someone into a psychopath
- Are mushrooms keto-friendly