Which means I'm right as rain
Idiom: From the rain to the eaves
"Uff," sighs Anna, "tomorrow we'll have another math test. And I haven't quite understood the last few exercises. Hopefully our math teacher will be sick tomorrow." "You just don't wish that," Felix replies quickly. "You know that we will then write the test with the temporary worker. And that is even stricter. You are not even allowed to go to the bathroom for a short time. That would really make us sick."
Felix's fear is certainly well founded: The substitute teacher is considered a strict woman with sharp eyes who sees every sideways glance immediately and punishes them. In contrast to her math teacher, she is certainly the greater evil. And that is exactly what "from bad to worse" means: to exchange one evil for an even greater one.
The phrase probably comes from the Orient and has been in use in German-speaking countries since the 17th century. When it rains, the water runs down from the roof through the gutter over the eaves and pours down there in a gush. If you are looking for protection from the rain under a protruding roof and are not careful, you can get into the eaves - and get soaked all the more.
Incidentally, Anna's wish has not come true. Your math teacher didn't get sick and the test took place. But Felix studied hard with Anna all afternoon, so that everything went well again.
Here we explain more idioms to you
- What is the meat
- What's your favorite Black Sabbath song
- Eczema can lead to depression
- What screams I envy you
- Taapsee Pannu is an underrated actor
- What is an octacore processor
- No suitable distribution was found for troubleshooting dateutil
- What should I know about Bitcoin SV
- What are good songs for couples
- Which flower starts with the letters LO
- Why is Sony taking back Spider Man
- What are your main death metal albums
- Are ideas invented or discovered
- What is a silent electric charge
- Fix iPhone 6 won't turn on
- Can Indians invest in Biance
- What is the latest video format
- What does 45 equivalents mean in PCM
- What is a harlequin born baby
- Monkfish is poisonous
- Who influenced Donald Trump's political views?
- Why is heating easier than cooling?
- I totally lost my feelings
- What are sales taxes in Fallout
- Who is responsible for water security in buildings?
- What is a banquet
- Why is a place of worship important?
- Is it legal to post lyric videos
- Field mice are beneficial
- How are mandarins grown
- How do Indian women indulge themselves in adultery?
- Can a Muslim woman divorce her husband?
- What is the purpose of bragging rights
- Do doctors need a PhD