How important is DEX for business applications
Which Samsung phones have DEX? Everything you need to know…
Samsung's DEX platform allows you to use your mobile phone as a computer by connecting it to a PC monitor. But which Samsung phones support DEX? Let's find out ...
If you have the following Samsung phones, you can use DEX. The following Samsung phones and tablets now support DEX:
- Samsung Galaxy S9
- Samsung Galaxy S10 (All models)
- Samsung Galaxy S20 (All models)
- Samsung Galaxy Note 8
- Samsung Galaxy Note 9
- Samsung Galaxy Note 10 (All models)
- Samsung Galaxy Note 20 (All models)
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S4
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S7
What is DEX?
Samsung's DEX platform allows you to port your phone or tablet software to a desktop PC display or monitor. This means that with a mouse and keyboard, all you can do is work on a larger display with your phone and its apps.
Samsung initially needed a proprietary dock to access DEX, but since the launch of the Galaxy Note 9DEX can be accessed using an HDMI cable (a Type-C to HDMI USB cable). This means you no longer have to buy additional hardware to use DEX.
It's also worth noting that DEX itself is NOT hardware. It is software through and through that enables the user to port their phone's software to a larger display such as a PC monitor or compatible HDTV. You can also use DEX with a mouse and keyboard, so it comes very close to a PC-like experience when it's ready.
If you are on a tight budget and need to choose between a smartphone or a laptop, DEX is a great attendant solution as you effectively have two devices in one, a PC-style computing experience via DEX, and a phone for when you are on the go.
You can run Google Drive under DEXThis gives you access to a word processor, spreadsheets, and presentations, as well as things like instant messages and storage for your files and media. Samsung also has a number of apps that you can use on DEX as well, but I prefer Drive. It's just how I do things.
How much does Samsung DEX cost?
DEX is completely free provided you have a phone that supports it. DEX is part of the Galaxy experience. This is one of the biggest draws. Being free means it has a ton of utility, especially when used with other free apps like Google Drive.
You will, of course, need to purchase peripherals for DEX, a keyboard, and a mouse. But most people tend to leave these around the house. You will also need a monitor or a compatible HDTV. You can even check out while in Canada Samsung's smart monitor - It's super cool.
Samsung DEX Update History: From 2017 to 2020
- 2017: The original Samsung DEX required that users have a physical dock that their phone was inserted into to launch DEX on an external monitor. This was the first generation of DEX; it worked fine but still felt a bit "beta".
- 2018: In 2018, Samsung launched the DeX HDMI adapter alongside the Galaxy Note 9, eliminating the need for a physical docking station.
- 2019: With the introduction of the Galaxy Note 10, Samsung made DEX access completely wireless, eliminating the need for cables to run DEX. All you needed was a compatible phone like the Note 10
- 2020: In 2020 DEX was updated again and can now run on Windows PCs. All you have to do is cable (if you have older Samsung phones) or wireless if you have a newer model.
Wireless DEX support
Building on the last point, Wireless DEX was launched on board the Galaxy Note 20. With Wireless DEX, you don't need any cables or wires to start the DEX experience - the phone does it all for you.
How to set up Wireless DEX on Galaxy Note 20
Wireless DEX is currently available for the Galaxy Note 20, but it will almost certainly be available the Galaxy S21 to. And, like in January, this phone is slated to hit the market in the first half of 2021.
Here is a brief overview of how Wireless DEX works and how it is set up on the Samsung Galaxy Note 20 via Samsung Insights.
This [wireless DEX] allows users to use DeX wirelessly on smart TVs with Miracast, as long as both devices are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
To use Wireless DeX, first switch your TV to screen mirroring mode. Then on your Note20 or Note20 Ultra, pull down the Quick Panel settings and tap DeX. Now select the TV you want to broadcast to.
Wireless DeX on smart TVs is a true two-picture experience - you can continue to use your phone as a phone while it powers your TV's DeX interface. It's ideal for sharing content such as PowerPoint presentations or videos. However, you can also connect a keyboard and mouse and use the TV as a monitor for productivity work. Samsung Insights
What is the best DEX adapter?
Samsung makes a number of DEX adapters. So if you're using an older Samsung model like the Galaxy S9 or the Galaxy Note 8, you'll need one of these adapters to use and access DEX.
Here is a brief breakdown of the current options:
- DEX cable:This is a simple cable that you can use to connect your Samsung phone to a monitor and run DEX. It has limited I / O, but it's cheap.
- HDMI adapter:The HDMI adapter is ideal for most Samsung models, but again has limited I / O.
- Multiport adapter:If you want support for Ethernet, charging and also for connection to external monitors, the multiport adapter is the right choice - it offers the best I / O option of all three options.
How to start DEX for the first time
I assume you have all the features you need to run DEX including an adapter if you are using an older Samsung phone. Once you've got everything set up, it's very easy to start DEX for the first time. Just follow these steps.
- # 1) If you're using the DEX cable, connect it to your phone and the HDMI port on your monitor. Do the same with the HDMI adapter and the multiport adapter.
- # 2) Once the phone is connected to the port via HDMI, the DEX software should launch immediately. You should see the DEX logo trigger. Once that happens, DEX will start up quickly. It usually only takes a few seconds.
- # 3) After DEX loads, you'll need to pair your mouse and keyboard with your phone. To do this, go to Settings> Bluetooth> Select the mouse and keyboard you want. Make sure that the bluetooth of your mouse and keyboard is active. Once connected, you're good to go!
Bonus tip: if you use the multiport adapter, you can also plug the hardware into your phone's charger. This will ensure that your phone is always charged while using DEX. You can also connect an Ethernet cable to the multiport adapter.
Can DEX replace your laptop or PC?
It depends. If you're a power user who relies on x86 apps and things like Microsoft Office and others Business applicationsYou will fight. DEX is only as good as the apps you have on your phone.
If all you need is a web browser, some like Office products Google DriveIf you work mostly in the cloud, DEX can easily meet all of your needs. DEX is a bit of a Chromebook in that regard. Useful in the right settings, but not suitable for all users.
If you are a student or run an online business, DEX has all the tools you need to manage your workflow. You can do it all with one device that goes with you wherever you go. All you need is a cable, display, mouse, and keyboard to start again. This makes DEX a great solution for lean startups that use hot desks in the workplace.
Richard Goodwin has been a technology journalist for over 10 years. He is the editor and owner of KnowYourMobile. He also has a personal blog - Optimal sauce - and you can subscribe to his weekly tech newsletter HERE and blogging-related stuff HERE
- What are preprocessor macros in C programming
- Who buys fresh ghost peppers
- Why is Cognizant laying off 10,000 employees
- What is needed
- Which school subject still gives you nightmares
- How much does standard tattoo ink cost
- How can I write Quora questions faster
- What is the future of travel guides
- How does a leaky bucket algorithm work
- Which hormone triggers a period
- Why is Vedic mathematics gaining popularity
- What was the worst storm ever recorded
- How can I convert exe to zip
- How many Coursera courses have you attended?
- MENSA membership is secret
- What are the advantages of PVC flooring
- What is Zopper
- What is CERN about
- Is reality cognitive
- What are Special Economic Zones in Chhattisgarh
- Who is Urashiki Otsutsuki
- Can JBL speakers be tracked
- Are spiritual gurus who make people feel suicidal
- What are the bad things about Darjeeling