Why are file formats out of date
What are the unique advantages of the EPS format?
More about the unique functions of EPS. PDF is a distilled EPS, meaning all of the intelligence contained in the EPS file has been removed. For example, since the EPS is supposed to run at the printer or RIP level, it can use the printer settings. So the logo could choose to print a custom-made black and white version instead of printing a grayscale version of the color logo.
Now the distiller has not only flattened the transparency, but has also removed the code in the Postscript and replaced it with static basic elements. Of course, if you've used an editor like Illustrator this is what your EPS contained anyway, so there is no loss to a typical graphic designer. In theory, however, EPS could contain anything, including transparency. The target rasterization engines couldn't understand this so it would take your postscript a lot of code to handle this. This brings us the biggest problem of EPS.
EPS was never developed as a transfer format between graphic applications. It should only be one line that you can talk to a printer on. Many of its functions are not required in the graphic design context. Worse still, there really aren't any rules about how the EPS file is interpreted during machine readback. If your EPS had custom processing it would be lost once it is read into Illustrator. So while all data is rasterized in the end in a printer pipeline. And a custom primitive, rasterized at full resolution itself like any other vector graphic, cannot get that information in an editing application without shaving it to a custom size, while the EPS itself would have rasterized it for any printer's maximum resolution. But unfortunately not if you open it for editing in between.
EPS has for the most part, and I say mostly, been superseded by PDF. PDF is a direct successor to EPS. SVG is also strongly influenced by EPS (possibly even too strongly). But we are still a long way from not needing EPS. If you need a 2d barcode, use EPS. Do you need to remove something from your program? Use EPS, it's easier to create than PDF but 100% compatible with one. If you need custom printer functionality, use EPS. Do you need a logo that is printed differently every time? Different on each side? Send LATEX users, EPS etc. etc.
The last big reason to use EPS surprisingly is the following: Ordinary users cannot embed PDF files in their documents. There are several reasons for this, most notably that ordinary users have been taught that PDF is the final format and cannot be reused. Then there is the MS word problem which is common or not among ordinary users.
EPS is a great format, but it may be too good for its own future. In terms of Adobe, it actually competes in an unhealthy way with Adobe's long-term goals. So yeah, it's a bit of a legacy that no current format comes close to replacing. But far too complicated in manually done automatic work pipelines PDF. Regardless of how old the format is for someone working on Adobe Stack, a fact remains elsewhere, it is often the only viable option.
Bonus function: For a designer, EPS is the easiest way to get into graphics programming.
- Which Christian apologists would you recommend
- Why is higher education a competitive effort
- What is logistic HANA training
- EMDR therapy is a form of hypnosis
- Is Google Duo encrypted
- Hindu women shave themselves
- How do accelerating particles emit radiation?
- What is your SSB selection history
- Who are Foxit's Top Competitors
- Some Indians have an inferiority complex
- How would you stop a pen thief?
- Why do cellos have no frets?
- Which is the best phone among 6000
- What do you mean by Indians?
- Who are astronauts
- How do I describe the definition of the ontology
- Life revolves around work
- How safe is 20 mg Valium
- How to buy a bond
- What is the best brand of cucumber
- Which was the first football game
- What is the exact concept of Bitcoin
- PUBG is free for Android
- What's in your basement
- How are estrogen pills called
- What are the steps of oil pulling
- What are teaching techniques
- What is the best WhatsApp Marketing Platform
- How did you punish God
- What are natural food sources for DHA
- Did Jesus explain why there is suffering
- Define Free Radicals
- What is the product of H SO H O.