Sex addicts suffer from depression
In Germany alone, more than two million men develop depression every year. But mental disorders are still often taboo in society.
Signs of depression in men are different
Many men do not want to acknowledge their suffering and ignore the signals. In addition, depression itself remains hidden from many doctors. One of the reasons for this is that the disease does not always show itself in men using the more familiar symptoms such as melancholy or lack of drive. Instead, it can manifest itself in alcohol consumption, aggression, excessive exercise, anger at work or even sex addiction.
When the joy of life fades
The film follows two men who had the courage to be accompanied with the camera for a whole year. One of them is Arthur H. The 55-year-old initially believed to be suffering from "mood swings". But at some point he was barely able to do his job as a team leader at Fielmann. "I was getting more and more aggressive, messing with customers and colleagues."
A social retreat followed. The joy of life disappeared. "I knew: either I would get out or I would take my own life." But staying in a psychotherapeutic outpatient clinic and taking pills did not help him either.
Personal search for healing in hermit break
Arthur H. then decides to take a break and moves to the forest as a hermit. There the film team meets him and accompanies him on his hermit existence. He takes him to a nearby monastery, which he visits regularly. In the conversations with the monks, he hopes to find courage to face life again.
The Benedictines specialize in accompanying men with depression. "Women find it easier to talk about their feelings," explains Brother Josef. For men, the clergy relies on body work: archery, sword fighting or gardening, chopping wood, drawing.
Big problem: silence out of shame
The causes of male depression are often pressure to perform or emotional crises, for example after separations. One problem is shame. 50 percent of sick men do not even accept the diagnosis. And they can hardly stand the silence: every day in Germany 18 men suffering from depression take their own lives.
Inpatient treatment may be advisable for particularly severe depression. For example, Henrik R. has been referred to a clinic by his family doctor. There the 72-year-old pensioner should learn to move again. After his mother's death, he almost gave up on himself, he says in the film. He, too, accompanies him for 45 minutes on his way out of depression.
The chances of recovery from depression are estimated to be high. The prerequisite, however, is to see a doctor, start therapy and, under certain circumstances, be treated with medication. Contrary to what is often claimed, antidepressants are not addictive.
The most important points of contact for depression
- Telephone counseling: anonymous, free advice around the clock; Tel. (0800) 111 0 111 or (0800) 111 0 222
- Telephone for children and young people "Number against Kummer": free advice from Mon to Sat, 2 pm to 8 pm, Tel. 116 111. Parents' phone: Mon to Fri, 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. and Tue and Thu, 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. at (0800) 111 05 50
- Info phone of the German Depression Aid: Mon, Tue and Thu, 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. and Wed and Fri, 8:30 a.m. to 12.30 p.m. Tel. (0800) 334 45 33. Deutsche Depressionshilfe offers a self-test and an overview of regional offers.
- Medical on-call service of the health insurance companies: 116 117.
- Outpatient department of the psychiatric department of a clinic on site - in any case with suicidal thoughts.
- Where should I study economics
- How can Google contacts be improved?
- What makes a government legitimate
- What is the largest US battleship
- Can we go to Schluesselbeinbruch?
- What is the correctional officer's average salary
- Should I follow her from Instagram
- Might Beat Someone In Comics Flashulk
- Who are we really as a unit?
- Why do some people hate Apple Inc.
- Kevin Cooper was framed
- How do I manage workflows with Kanban
- Why hasn't anyone sued PETA yet?
- How good is white Kindle paper
- What are all the islands in Scotland
- What is the purpose of conservation
- What causes vibrations in a motorcycle
- How do I identify materials like leather
- Zbrush will be obsolete because of Blender
- What quality should PVC pipes be?
- What gives myrcene its powerful calming effects
- What is your unpopular opinion of Minecraft
- How do I write an MLA quote
- Why aren't my Bose headphones working?